17 June 2009

Sewing machine fun...

I was just reading Jona's blog (from Fabritopia) and she did this survey regarding her machine that she found on the Sew, Mama, Sew! blog. So I thought I'd participate too! (I love surveys!)

Here are the questions, and my answers:

What brand and model do you have?

I have a Pfaff 2056


How long have you had it?

Hmm...good question. It's coming up on 3 years now, I think???

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

I believe I paid just over or just under $3,000. Darn! It won't let me un-italicize this!

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

Mostly quilts, and some little odd-ball projects. Like patching up jeans and such...

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

Not all that much I suppose. Sometime I get oin a roll, and I'm always on there. Other times I, like now, I'm doing more handwork. Or nothing at all ;)

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I LOVE my machine! Before this, I had a 'cheap' machine. It made sewing a nightmare! I'm knocking on wood here, but the very (very) few problems I had turned out to be my error (like threading it wrong, etc.).

I named it Phyllis. Simply because I like the name, and it reminds me of a very sensible person. But I don't actually call it by name...

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

I like that I can drop my feed dogs, needle up/down, my beloved quarter inch foot (that's actually accurate! I have a story about that! see * below!) And I like that it has 'tie off' stitches (so you don't have to reverse sew at the end of your stitching to secure it). I use that when I'm appliqueing with the buttonhole stitch especially.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

Nope! :)

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

I don't think so...

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

Totally, and I have!

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

Quality! I don't know that you have to break the bank to get a nice machine. Just make sure it comes from a reputable brand, talk to people who own them (and ask how long they've had them. Some machines may be great at first then crap out after a while.) and do your research. Make sure you know what all the bells/whistles are, and which ones you'll want/need.

Do you have a dream machine?

Sort of...the Husqvarna/Viking Designer SE has a few things mine doesn't that seem kind of neat (plus it's an embroidery machine. Don't know how badly I want/need that though...) It's got a thing that'll bring both threads to the bottom and then cut them off for you...neat! But for $15,000, I can do without!



*So here's my 1/4" foot story. I got my first machine from a little mom & pop shop. The gal was really nice, and I was all happy. Well it didn't take long for the thing to make sewing a living nightmare. For one thing, the 1/4" foot actually sewed at 3/8". So I went in to complain, and the guy said that's "just how they come. You can't get a true 1/4" foot..." Well, now I know that's bull-honkey! Then another time I asked what the difference between the 'red' needles and the 'blue' were. He said that the one (I don't remember which color was which) was for all fabrics, and the other was "for 100% cotton fabrics, which are rarely sold today. I don't even know why they still make them." WHAT??!! That's when I knew he was full of crap! It wasn't too long after that I got my new happy machine!

1 comment:

Bean said...

Too Funny Erica that you like to do surveys - I know a guy who is JUST like that - loves to give his opinions.... is that why you do surverys :)