31 August 2009

Chess, anyone?

Well, it's the 31st! You know what that means, right?

First, let me bore you with my weekend adventures...

Last weekend we went to Wenatchee, WA where the apples are. It was nice, but both the kids were in moods and it took its toll on the happiness of the trip.

We visited Rocky Reach Dam. I love dams...they're just so impressive! We were lucky enough to see some fish in the fish ladder! (I have to admit though...salmon creep me out! *shivers*)It really was a beautiful place. Lots of flowers, cool breeze...And then they have a museum inside, and you get to see this...a row of turbines. JJ, being the structural engineer/geek that he is, was very impressed with their super-strong crane/lift thingies. That says 250 tons.
They have a little turbine cross-section poster...Let's take a closer look at this, shall we?Workers can go down there! Can you imagine? Where do I sign up? :)

My son got a kick out of this...

And so now for the giveaway! Our friends at Random.org have selected the very fine number 7 for our happy prize winner. And that's Cathy! (Who happens to have a lovely blog...go check it out!) Please e-mail me (link is in my profile) your snail-mail info so I can get these goodies out to you! :)

No one guessed exactly what I was making...but ikkinlala came so very close with her guess of a game board. It is a game board, but more specifically...
a chess board!

You see, I was in the game shop with my chess-obsessed son and we saw this cool hexagon chess. Well, it was $40...and, being the crazy lady I am, I thought...I could make that! And so I did. Does it look beautiful? Not in the least! Do we own the correct number of bishops (Hex chess takes 3 bishops and only 6 pawns)? No, but 2 of the leftover pawns don't mind wearing scarves...
So it works. Now if he ever makes some chess-loving friends, and they want to come over and play, we're going to shell out that $40! ;)

1 comment:

happy zombie said...

I love the salmon ladder... it looks inner tube worthy! And the Do Not sign is hoot. WTH? Funny!