14 September 2009

The birds, obsessions, and dishpan hands...

Apparently a flock of birds decided to take a rest in the trees behind our house. There have got to be hundreds of them...well, I'm not a very good judge of numbers, but it's a mass of Alfred Hitchcock proportions...

This morning I decided to curl up with one of my favorite things...a magazine. But not just any magazine, a Country Living magazine. I love them! I love to look at pictures of beautiful rooms, decorated just the way I'd like mine to be...someday. Here's a stack of favorites. I even have an LL Bean catalog in there because they sell quilts, and I do so love to see a room with a quilt on the bed...
And that got me to thinking...the things I love the most tend to be what jj hates the most. Mostly because he hates spending money and I spend every cent I'm given on things. Things, things, and more things...

So what are some of my other obsessions? Let's take a peek at my stash, shall we?

Beads...I have a few....no, this isn't nearly all of them. 0:)Yarn...mmm. Actually, of all of my stashes, this is my smallest because I find it rather useful to have a project in mind when buying, whereas fabric needs no pre-determined purpose. That being said, I do love Cascade 220, and these do not have a purpose...
Nor does this one. But it's so soft (alpaca) and I felt the need to have it... Luckily I have a book of one-skein wonders.
Now here's the motherlode. Fabric. I have a 'bit' of that too. Let's take a look at my very favorite cabinet (which I hope to have more of after my craft room is no longer under construction.)
(Please forgive the ugly lighting. My room doesn't have a window in it yet. Just one small part of the aforementioned construction...)

Let's open it up, shall we?
Yes, the middle shelf has been repeated. It's funny, in this picture everything looks so pale. That top shelf is 30's, anything but pale... 2nd shelf is shabby-style florals and backgrounds. The rest are just fabrics I was rather fond of...

I have other cabinets that are the same make as this one, but they were 7.5+ feet tall, and our ceilings are only 7 (one of my least favorite things about this house) so they had to be altered to fit in, and now the doors don't work, etc...

Speaking of which, have you seen my hands? I have dishpan hands. See the dry skin, so bad that it's wrinkling up my fingers?
(Remember Madge?) I used to have this adorable pair of pink, cuffed rubber gloves, but jj used them in a way I didn't approve and I just haven't replaced them yet.

So, as you've probably guessed, we don't have a dishwasher. I know...how can a house not have a dishwasher? And the sad part is, the kitchen is laid out such that we'd have to redo a lot to fit one in...

There is a cute story behind this though. This area is rather expensive and jj doesn't have some awesome, high-paying job, so we never thought we'd be able to afford a house here. But one afternoon jj came home from work with a printout and on it, a house with potential. It was in a town we had really liked, but thought was too far away.* It was ugly, but right by a lake, and it had a yard! So we went to look at it, loved the lake and all the space, and miraculously, we were approved for the loan!**

The night after we made the offer we were hanging out, so happy, and I asked, "Did you see the dishwasher. Was it old?" jj thinks for a bit, "No, I don't remember it." Yup... but in the end we we felt so lucky to even have a home, we decided it didn't matter...

* something to know about this area...the roads are whacky. The same road may occur 4 or 5 times without connecting. So if you're going to my town via 124th, you can't just get on 124th and head east, because it will end. And yet, in a few miles, in the middle of nowhere it starts up again. And also, if you're on a road, and it has a curve, guess what? The name changes! It's absurd... So our town isn't half as far as it would seem...

** Yes, we're prime examples of people who should never have been approved for a loan, hence the recession. But we were responsible, cut spending, and did what we could to make sure we could handle the payments. we also didn't go making any more loans, etc. We thanked our lucky stars for the break, and we weren't about to push it... ;)

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, what a post Erica, so much eye candy, I love those mags too, and your wonderful stashes!! I hope you get a dishwasher some day, got to keep those hands good for the quilting and knitting!! xo

Pamela said...

I love country living as well. I curl up and read it cover to cover when it comes in my mailbox!