16 September 2009

Make sure you listen carefully...

...because you may never hear these words spoken by me again. I'm going to undo my bag. Yes, I'm going to unravel all those stripes (ughhh) and start over again. I'm feeling a little ill right now...

Look at it...I think it's hard to see, but it's like a big basket, only it doesn't hold shape...
Ugh...it looks awful when stretched! Like saggy granny undies...

So then I took in the sides a bitStill not right. Oh, it's just awful! Awful...

In the original pattern she used a much smaller hook (why in the world did I use the size I did?) so her rounds didn't get so horribly big. But mine did. It would have been too wide for handles to work...I think. So then I thought I'd do a few decreases...but then it just started resembling a ball. It's just awful...

So I think I'll start with an oval perhaps, instead of a circle... what do you think? (Lucy's looks so great. But I wonder what it looks like when in use.) I'm going to try to re-use as much yarn as I can. What a waste of time and yarn... but I really want this bag. *sigh*

And to top off this wonderful day, my son is home sick from school. And you know what? My kids just don't get along...they just don't. It's nothing but screaming, complaining, pure craziness. And in between that my girl asks for food..like every 15 minutes. It's enough to drive a lady mad!

Maybe jj, in all his sunshiney splendor, will come home and salvage this day. Yes, I'm joking...

5 comments:

Jackie said...

I don't know I kind of like the bag. I love the colors. But I know that when I am not happy with something, I need to do exactly what you are doing. Rip it out! Arghhh!

Francien said...

Oh to bad Erica..but you would not use it anyway because you dont like it...we all have made a few( i know i have several) creations that turned out different as the original..i do like those bags... but i put some lining and underlay in it because those bags seems to "grow"longer and longer when you use them....dont give up!! and try again...you can do it!!
greetings Francien.

Erica said...

Hey there -

My name really is Erica and I will be your friend! I just started reading your blog a week or so ago, and love to see what you're up to. I feel for you on frogging the bag, but you're right - giant saggy granny 'draws' are no good! I myself am currently frogging an enormous afghan just because I'm no longer in love with the colors I chose, and the blanket is TOO heavy... like you, I went with a larger hook than the pattern called for AND used 2 strands of yarn. It's intense. I hate frogging it, but will use the yarn for something I truly love. Your effort will be worth it in the new work!

Also, I have two kids (5 and 11, girl and boy) who cannot get along for more than five minutes, and BOTH ask me for food constantly.

So I hear you!! Hang in there.
:-)

-Erica

Attic24 said...

Oh oh oh, I SO feel for you!!!
My bag IS a very big baggy bag for sure, and it does look very big and saggy and a little sad when it is empty...which thankfully is not very often as I try my best to keep it stuffed with yarn.

I think hook size is key though, you are right. I used quite a thick/dense yarn (an aran weight) which would normally be hooked on a 5mm, but I used a 4mm hook instead to make the stitches tight/dense and the shape of the bag hold itself a little better.

You could also try not making so many of the initial "flat" bottom rounds so that the bag will become narrower as you work up the sides??
I know cathleen (mysewingserenity) made smaller versions of the bag and it worked a treat, you could perhaps email her and ask her yarn/hook size/alterations.

I feel so bad that this has not worked out for you, I feel REAAAALLLLY bad actually. But....as bad as it feels to frog out crochet work, its not as bad as having a finished article that makes your heart sink, so be brave and start over, thats my advice.

Good luck
Lucexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MichelleB said...

Saggy granny undies - you crack me up! I want to see it after you redo it.