20 January 2010

8 x 5 = 40 Right?

(specimen no.1)

Hello, hello! :) Such a fine sunny day it is here in ericaland. We've had a warm few days, it's 57 right now! This happened last year, if I remember correctly, and then we had a freeze and it ruined a lot of the spring blooms. Speaking of which, my daffodils are coming up. My tulips would be too...if the squirrels hadn't eaten them all. They make these 'cage' things to put your bulbs in...but they're expensive and small. I'd need a ton. So daffodils it is. *sigh*

Today I'm amusing myself with a little time-lapse project. Last night I noticed the daffodils on my table were starting to come out of their 'shells.' Then this morning I looked over and they'd fully bloomed. So I thought, what if I took pics of one that's not at all out, and one that's almost out, each hour. Then we could see how fast they bloomed. Fun, fun... I'll share that with you another time.

(specimen no.2)

So on to the math. Yesterday I opened up my Soiree layer cakes and started planning my quilt. (I'm making a twin for my girl's bed... She'll end up with a lot of quilts I'd want for my own bed, because a twin is easier and less expensive than a king.) I separated each of the colors out.

Then I figured how many squares I'd need for each row, column, etc. I figured 8 x 10 given that I have 80 squares. Up they went on my (too-small) design wall. That's when I decided I should do the top half of the quilt with one cake, sew it up, then work on the bottom (to conserve room, plus I won't have too many of the same prints together...duh). So I put them all up, and I had 4 extra! I counted, recounted. I even questioned my multiplication skills... Yes, there are 42 squares in each layer cake...42! So now I'm wondering what the 2 extra were. Why did I have 4 left over when separating the 2 cakes and not 2? I've even looked for duplicates a couple of times and haven't seen any. Maybe that'll be a fun game once the quilt is together...see where momma messed up...
(these two pieces aren't going together like that... I just picked two finished segments for the picture)

I may have mentioned before, that over the few years that we've lived in this house, we've noticed that the previous owners may have been slightly obsessed with blue... The exterior paint is blue. The roof is blue. The one flowering plant that was in the yard was blue. Except for the family room, which is green, the carpets are all blue. The curtains that were left were blue...again, except for the f.r.'s which are green. We've peeled away paneling (ick) and found blue paint. Some of the interior paint has chipped to reveal blue paint. And this is the latest installment...the wallpaper in our bedroom (which I hate) concealed what? Blue paint! It's a different shade of blue than usual...

I thought this was amusing as well...this is what happens when jj plays with my girl's toys... I pinched his cheeks and told him what a cute little boy he was...

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Daffodils in January?? Really?? Wow, We won't see ours until May. I would say you have great weather. I say Moda must have definitely misprinted. Lucky you!!

Lorie M Designs said...

You have a lovely blog. thanks for visiting my blog too. Have a great day!

the textured leaf said...

I adore your blog and find myself revving up and reading it quickly through! Do you type fast? Im wondering if im picking up onyour energy?
You fail to mention what you did about all the blue? Do tell... Did you paint it out or are you living with it? I probably would keep the plant if it was me. Blue flowers are nice.