05 June 2011

I need to vent!

I apologize in advance. There will be no fabric talk, no yummy pictures, but I need a shoulder or 100 to cry on. I think anyone with a daughter thinks she's the most beautiful girl in the world, and I'm no exception. My sweet girl loves pink (yay!), she's goofy as can be, and a few months ago her hair finally grew out long enough that I could get her a fabulous haircut. Sounds silly, right? But it truly looks great on her...it's the kind where the back is a little shorter than the front.

I bet you think you know where I'm going with this, because I know when I was a little girl I decided to 'give myself a haircut.' My poor mom must have been sick! But no, there's more... The kids were over at jj's dad's house for a sleep over. They love that, and it makes for an excellent date night for jj and me. So yesterday we went to pick them up and I walked in to see my little girl with bangs! Awkwardly-short, uneven bangs with a curled-under 'bob' hairdo! He took them to get their hair cut! I feel sick, just sick! It'll take a year to grow those back out again, and my baby starts school in September. I don't even know how to cope with this! If she had taken the scissors to her own hair I would be no less sad, but at least it would make sense, but this... (deep breath)

Thank you for listening. I'm trying to get it out of my system and move on, but needless to say, it's going to take some time. :(

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh Erica, I can feel the pain! The question has to be asked...why? Why would he do that? Why would he not ask you first? Why would he think that was an ok thing to do? Ok, enough why's, but really I would be hopping mad too, so vent away!!! xo

Patchwork Penguin said...

I'm right there with Cathy.... what would have posessed him to do this without your knowledge? Venting is good.... we are here for you!

Nicky said...

Can't believe a man would take a little girl for a haircut if he had a choice? Was it to cover up a bad hair cut she'd given herself?

Kala said...

So sorry. Take pictures. One of my favorite pictures came from a story a lot like yours. When I was 3 my hair went to the top of my hips. My mother loved my hair. Grandma took my sister and I for a sleep over. Grandma hated that my bangs got in my eyes...so...she cut them. There couldn't have been more than a 1/4 of an inch left. She also trimmed the rest. Up to my shoulders. Then grandma took us to get our pictures done. It is such a cute picture of my face. lol! My mom cried and cried. She just didn't know what to do. I hope that the pain of it goes away soon.

Rebecca P said...

Oh Erica, I am so sorry for your pain. It's bad enough that he took your daughter for a hair cut without asking you. However, being a retired hairdresser, my question is why in the world would the hairdresser cut a little girls bangs that short!!! Big hugs to you.
Rebecca

sewkatiedid said...

Ha. My brother put my hair in curlers when I was little and decided to just cut them out since it was too hard to get them out.

Hair grows.

cinzia said...

When my daughter was just one and had long beautiful shoulder length curls, her 3 yr old brother decided to give her a haircut! All the curls were gone and I had to take her to the salon just to get it cut even shorter and, as if I wasn't pissed enough, the hairdresser decided to lecture me about the dangers of kids and scissors! I vented too. I called my mom. my husband, my sister, best friend...
She looked adorable though it was a lot less trouble to care for. That was ten years ago and we laugh about now. She has a head of really beautiful thick hair that she cares for herself! Now she has ideas about how SHE wants to cut it that I don't exactly agree with. But...I have to pick my battles! It always grows back!

graphixgurl84 said...

My little gals had long hair down the middle of their backs when I dropped them off to spend the weekend with their aunt. When I picked them up Sunday they had bobs up above their chins. She thought she was doing me a favor giving them easy to do hair so I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time braiding and brushing like I always do. SHRIEK!!!!!!
I know your pain. :(

shelia said...

OH MY LORD. You have every right to vent! I would be so mad if another family member took my child for a haircut. That's a personal thing for mom's & Dad's only! So sorry